ORIENTATION AND CHECK-IN
All admitted incoming international students must check-in and attend one of the special orientation sessions held once at the beginning of each spring and fall semesters. Students may check-in when they arrive or on the day of orientation. This process consists of the OIP obtaining copies of your 1-20 form or DS-2019, passport photo page, Visa, and I-94 Arrival Page. Additionally, all students should complete a personal information sheet.
Orientation takes place over set dates during the academic year during which students are introduced to the campus and afforded the opportunity to register for classes. During orientation students may become familiarized with various student services, organizations, classroom settings, and other tips for a successful Ole Miss experience. It is required that all entering students attend orientation. The following tasks should be completed during orientation:
- UM Student IDs – Students will obtain their UM Student identification cards. These cards are very important as they are used when accessing and using most university and student services – you will need a student ID when using the J.D. Williams Library, student meal plans, the Turner Center Fitness Center, and other students tasks.
- UM Student Number – All admitted students will receive a UM student number. This number is used to identify you as a student and will frequently be asked of you when looking up your student information such as grades, account balances, and financial aid information. Some professors may ask you for this number on examination days.
- Online Services – New students are assigned a Webmail Login ID and password. This login ID and password is used to access your student email account and Online Services information. The Online Services website is where students go to access their grades, class schedule, account information, and other student information. Professors and instructors frequently use Blackboard to communicate with their students in posting grades, assignments, and notes.
- Class Registration – Registration is completed via the online services site. It is not possible for new students to register until they have checked in with the Office of International Programs and completed the required tasks. Prior to registering for classes, you should speak with your advisor to be sure that you are completing your degree requirements in the proper order. Undergraduates, for example, will not be allowed to register for a certain class that requires completion of a prerequisite. Graduate programs and undergrad programs vary in procedures. While first semester law students are automatically registered for classes, undergraduates are responsible for selecting their own courses. These factors vary among degrees. In any event, it is best to speak with your advisor first. After you complete your schedule via the online services site, it may be saved and viewed under the link ‘My Student Information.’
Fall 2017 NEW STUDENT ORIENTATIONS
All international undergraduate degree-seeking students are required to attend the university’s general undergraduate orientation which takes place from August 15th to August 16th. Registration for international students will be available online. The registration fee covers expenses for program, including materials and most meals. Payment in cash is preferred. This will be a very informative two days that will explain the culture of Ole Miss and how to take care of all your needs as a first year student. You will also have your academic advising appointment during this orientation. Attendance is required to register for courses.
How to Register for Undergraduate Orientation:
- Go online to http://my.olemiss.edu
- Sign in with your WebID and password
- Once you log in, select the orientation tab
- Select the ‘Sign Up for Orientation’ link
- Complete the form, and click Submit once (multiple clicks can result in multiple charges)
- Your orientation fee(s) can be paid online by bank draft or with a debit or credit card (VISA or MasterCard only).
- Your reservation at orientation is only guaranteed once you complete the online registration and payment is received. You will receive an orientation confirmation email to your Ole Miss email account when your registration in confirmed.
All new international students with the exception of those granted Deferred Action and those who hold U.S. Permanent Resident status are required to attend the OIP New International Student Orientation on Monday, August 14th in the afternoon. Exact times and location will be announced closer to the date. There is no fee for this orientation. The OIP New International Student Orientation will provide you with an opportunity to meet other international students, as well as provide important immigration and health insurance related information needed during your time at our institution. Attendance is required.
All graduate students are encouraged to visit the Graduate School Website for further information on orientation, assistantships and fellowships, academic advisors, health insurance, and campus resources.