skip to main content
International Student and Scholar Services
University of Mississippi

Obtaining a Student Visa

F-1 or J-1 statuses are the most common visa categories for students. ISSS will determine the proper category based on your admission status and intent, any current or previous U.S. visa status (if applicable), funding sources, and other requirements, restrictions or preferences. Once the proper category is determined and the required documents are submitted, ISSS will issue the proper document in order for you to apply for a visa and obtain admission to the U.S. in the appropriate category.

  • I-20s are issued for F-1 visas
  • DS-2019s are issued for J-1 visas

Once you have been fully admitted to the University of Mississippi and have provided all necessary documents such as your proof of finances with the Affidavit of Financial Support Form, International Student and Scholar Services will prepare the necessary F-1 I-20 or J-1 DS-2019 forms to send to you. 

Students transferring from other Universities

Students in F-1 or J-1 Status who are currently attending another institution in the U.S. must also have their SEVIS record transferred to the University of Mississippi. 

We look forward to welcoming you to the University of Mississippi!

To summarize:

  1. Get accepted as a student or scholar to the University of Mississippi
  2. ISSS provides you with your I-20 or DS-2019
  3. Follow the instructions based on the type of Visa Status that is related to your I-20 or DS-2019. 

If you require documentation to request an expedited visa appointment to arrive in time for the Fall 2024 semester, you may submit this letter. Please note that our office is unable to influence decisions made by the Department of State regarding visa processing times and visa interview appointment times.