skip to main content
International Student and Scholar Services
University of Mississippi

Getting an H-1B Visa

If your H-1B is sponsored while you are living outside of the U.S., the embassy of your choice will be notified of the approval and ISSS will send you the documents necessary to apply for a visa stamp. Please note that you may not enter the U.S. in H-1B status more than 10 days prior to the effective date of that status.

As with all non-immigrant visas, the consular official has sole discretion to grant the visa.

The U.S. Department of State website provides extensive information regarding visa stamp processing. Visit for information about the U.S. Embassy/Consulate at which you will apply. You may check the estimated wait times by visiting the Department of State Wait Times page.

Security Checks

Security checks during application for a visa stamp are very common for all people studying or working in scientific fields.  They are even more common in specific countries such as China, India, Korea and Middle Eastern countries.  While these checks are usually completed within a couple of weeks, a few have taken as long as 9 months and there is nothing UM can do to shorten the period of time it will take.  Please plan accordingly and let your supervisor know about this possibility.

Entering the U.S. in H-1B Status

When entering the U.S. in H-1B status you must present both your I-797 approval notice and the H-1B visa stamp in your passport. Please be sure to file your I-94 within several days of your arrival. You may do so at the following link: