skip to main content
International Student and Scholar Services
University of Mississippi

Health Care, Insurance, and Local Health Care Facilities

As an international student, scholar, or employee you have invested a considerable amount of time, energy and money to come to the United States to study. A major medical problem could be unexpected and costly for you. It is for this reason that all international students, scholars and faculty must ensure that they have proper health insurance and know about options for medical care at the University of Mississippi and within the community.

Health Insurance

Health insurance coverage is essential. Learn more about the requirements and processes at the following links:

Student Health Insurance Information

 J-1 Scholar Health Insurance Information

Health Care Information

General Medical Care Procedures

In the U.S., there are many types of health care facilities. Some will require that you have an appointment while others like the Student Health Center and “urgent care” facilities do not. Physicians who specialize in a particular type of care often require that a general-practice provider give a referral in order for you to even make an appointment with the specialist.

Health insurance plans may also influence which doctor or facility you use as the health insurance reimbursement may be greater if you use a doctor that is part of the insurance company’s preferred provider network.

  • Generally if you are a student, the first place you should go for treatment is the University Student Health Center. The Student Health Center can refer you to a specialist if needed.
  • If you need assistance when the Student Health Center is closed, consider using an urgent-care facility.
  • For serious injuries and life threatening conditions, the hospital emergency room is appropriate.
  • Doctor, Urgent Care, Or ER? | Medical Checklist

When you visit a doctor’s office, be prepared to provide your medical insurance information. A member of the doctor’s staff will ask you for a medical history before you are examined. The purpose of this is to obtain background information needed to treat you and to determine if there are any medications which should not be used. When asked to complete the history, be as exact and honest as possible, as these records will be used to determine your treatment. Medical records are private information, and cannot be released without your explicit permission.

Health Care Facilities Information

On-Campus Health Care Facilities

Student Health Center

Most students’ and employees’ first choice for non-emergency health care will be the Student Health Services Center located on campus at the V.B. Harrison building. Student Health Services is open Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and from 9:00-5:00 on Fridays. For more information visit:The Student Health Services Center

Employee Health Center

Employees of the University who are benefits-eligible are able to use the Employee Health Center. For more information visit: Employee Health Center

Off-Campus Health Care Facilities

“Urgent-care” clinics are places that do not require an appointment and are a good option if the Student and Employee Health Centers are closed.


LOCATION: 1902 B, Jackson Ave W, Oxford
TELEPHONE: 234-6464 

LOCATION: 1487 Belk Boulevard, Oxford
TELEPHONE: 234-1090


1100 Belk Blvd, Oxford, MS 38655

Medications, Dental and Vision Care

Medications and Prescriptions

You may be given a prescription for medications to help you recover from illness or injury.  Prescriptions must be filled by a licensed pharmacist.  The Student Health Center has a pharmacy. There are also pharmacies located within stores such as Walmart, Kroger, Walgreens, CVS and Chaney’s.

Dental and Vision Care

Dental and Vision care is separate from medical care in this country, and most health insurance does not cover dental or optological procedures.  Separate dental and vision insurance must be obtained for dental or vision coverage.  Employees of the University can purchase dental insurance through Human Resources. Vision or eye-care insurance can be purchased from a variety of insurance companies found online.

Counseling Services

The University Counseling Center offers students free personal counseling.  It is common in the United States to talk about problems to others, especially professionals, who can help.  If you find that you are having issues such as stress, relationship problems, or depression, please consider seeing one of the licensed professionals at the Counseling Center.  Counseling records are entirely confidential.  Such records are released only with your permission.

You may reach the Counseling Center by calling 915-3784 or visiting their website.

Help with Drug and Alcohol Related Issues