skip to main content
International Student and Scholar Services
University of Mississippi

Housing & Accommodations

As you plan for your arrival and stay at the University of Mississippi, one of the first things that you will probably consider is housing. This section provides you with various housing options and temporary accommodations and requirements. Your choice may impact you as an international student on campus, especially with regards to accommodations during breaks and meal plan choices.

On-Campus Housing

Croft porch

Freshman Residency Requirement

Students who have fewer than 30 semester hours are required to live on campus for two consecutive semesters – Fall and Spring or Spring and Full Summer (Summer I and Summer II).

Student housing exemptions are approved for the following:

  • Students who are 21 years of age or older
  • Students who live with parents or legal guardians within a radius of 60 miles (proof required) and commute to campus
  • Students who have graduated from high school at least one year prior to enrollment at the university and have lived in a college or university campus residential community (proof required) for at least two semesters
  • Married students (proof required)
  • Students with children (proof required).

To be considered for an exemption, students must follow the Student Housing process. See the Application for Exemption for details.

Unmarried freshmen (except commuters living with parents or guardians) who enroll and are found to be living off campus without an authorized exemption from the Housing Appeals Committee will be administratively charged for housing.

All residence hall rooms are equipped with furniture and utilities essential for comfortable living. Students must provide their own linens, pillows and personal items such as lamps. Housing assignments will not be made unless the student has been admitted to the university, submitted the housing application via and paid the housing application fee.

As you consider your housing options, we encourage you to consider Living Learning Communities on campus. Please note that other on-campus residence halls are restricted by gender; some are accessible throughout the academic year, while some require students to move into vacation housing during the fall, winter holiday and spring breaks. Some residence halls require the particular residence hall’s meal plan, some do not. Some residence halls offer shared rooms and bathrooms, others offer greater personal privacy, while others mirror apartment-style living.

Visit the Department of Student Housing for information on how to apply for on-campus housing.


Off-Campus Housing

A variety of options are available within walking, driving or shuttle distance to campus. For more information on various apartment complexes, please see the following sites:

Department of Student Housing Off-Campus Housing

Oxford Newspaper – Classified Advertisements

Some apartment complexes offer shuttle transportation to/from campus to its residents, complimentary or at extra cost. The City of Oxford and The University jointly offer O.U.T. (Oxford University Transit), currently free of charge to students. More information on O.U.T. is available at Oxford University Transit.

Many apartments in Oxford require a lease of one year so be sure to read through the terms of your lease carefully before signing. By signing a lease, you are promising to pay the landlord for the entire time listed on the lease. Ending a lease early or violating the lease agreement can cost you the rental deposit or continued monthly payments for the apartment or house. It is common for landlords to require that you pay a deposit equal to one month’s rent when you sign the lease. Additionally, most apartments and rental houses are unfurnished. It is best to check with the landlord about whether furnished housing is available.



Like most apartments, utility services such as electricity and water service require that you make a deposit when setting up an account. Deposits usually equal the cost of 1 month to 2 months of service.

Some apartments are considered within Oxford City Limits and use Oxford city utility services, while others will be included with the Lafayette County systems. Also, some apartments provide utilities included with the cost of rent. Check with your apartment complex or landlord’s office to see what utilities are necessary and which utility providers you must use.


Electricity, Water, Sewer, & Garbage in Oxford City Limits

  • Oxford Electric Department
    300 McElroy Drive, Oxford, MS 38655
    Services: Electricity, Water, Sewer, & Garbage
    Phone: 662 232-2363


  • Centerpoint Natural Gas
    399 Hwy. 6 West, Oxford, MS 38655
    Services: Natural Gas
    Phone: 662 234-6411

Electricity, Water, Sewer & Garbage in Lafayette Country

  • Northeast Mississippi Electric Power Association
    Hwy. 30, Oxford, MS 38655
    Services: Electricity
    Phone: 662 234-6331


  • Lafayette County Sanitation Department
    Services: Garbage
    Phone: 662 236-2535


  • Dowdle Gas Company
    Hwy. 6 West, Oxford, MS 38655
    Services: Propane Gas
    Phone: 662 234-7310 or 662 234-4802


  • Centerpoint Natural Gas
    399 Hwy. 6 West, Oxford, MS 38655
    Services: Natural Gas
    Phone: 662 234-6411

Telephone & Internet Services

  • BellSouth
    Residential Services: 1-557-6500
  • Metrocast
    105 Allison Cove, Oxford, MS 38655

Cable Television Services

  • Comcast
    1301 Harrison Ave., Oxford, MS 38655
    Phone: 662-212-5014
  • Metrocast
    105 Allison Cove, Oxford, MS 38655

Temporary Housing

The Inn at Ole Miss ( located on campus)
The University of Mississippi
University, MS 38677
Hotel Desk (662) 234-2331
1-888-486-7666 (Toll Free Only in U.S.)

Hotels in Oxford, MS