English Language Proficiency Requirements for Undergraduate Admission to the University
The ability to communicate effectively in the English language is critically important to students’ academic and personal success as well as to safety in laboratories and other academic and research environments.
Duolingo English Test:
We are aware that many testing centers are closed due to covid-19 restrictions; therefore, international admissions is temporarily accepting the Duolingo English Test (DET) for both undergraduate and graduate admissions on a case-by-case basis for those applicants affected by test center closures. Affected applicants can learn more, register, and take the test by going to englishtest.duolingo.com/applicants.
|iBT TOEFL||IELTS||Duolingo (DET)|
|UG & G admission||79+||6.0+||110+|
|IE 090/091 req||69-78||5.5||100-109|
|IEP only||68 and below||5.0 and below||99 and below|
International applicants whose primary language is not English and/or who have completed their secondary or tertiary education primarily outside of the U.S. must submit official scores from the acceptable tests in the table below. English language proficiency requirements may be met by providing qualifying test scores. To be considered official, test scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to the university and be less than two years old. The school code for the University of Mississippi is 1840.
|English Language Test||Minimum Score|
|rPDT TOEFL||No section subscore lower than 19|
|TOEFL iBT||79 – no section subscore lower than 19|
|TOEFL Paper Based Test ITP ***||550 valid only within the institution in which it is given ***|
|TOEFL My Best™ Score||79 with no My Best™ Score subscore lower than 19|
|PTE-A (Pearson Test of English – Academic)||53|
|Password Skills Test||6.0|
B2 First (FCE), C1 Adv (CAE), or C2 Prof (PFE):
score of 169+, no part below 162
C (5) On admission: Requires:
English classes: IE 090/091
|IB HL English B||5+|
|IB SL English B||6+|
|IB HL English A (Language + Literature) or (Literature)||5+|
|IB SL English A (Language + Literature) or (Literature)||5+|
*** We are, for a limited time, accepting TOEFL ITP Plus for China and Special Home Edition, until testing centers reopen. The score requirement of 550 still applies.
The following applicants are exempt from submitting one of the above English language proficiency scores:
- International applicants who show evidence of having completed the Advanced Plus Level at the University of Mississippi’s Intensive English Program with a grade of B or higher (see https://iep.olemiss.edu/ for further information).
- International applicants who apply for admission as degree-seeking freshmen and who have completed two years minimum of high school education at, and graduated from, an accredited high school in the U.S. Such applicants must, however, comply with the admission standards for domestic (i.e., U.S.) applicants as stated in the undergraduate catalog.
- Duolingo is approved as a temporary English language proficiency test on a case-by-case basis for undergraduate prospective students who have been affected by test center closures in China and elsewhere due to COVID-19.
- International applicants who apply for admission as degree-seeking transfer students and who have completed at least 30 credits, including two English Writing/Composition courses, at an accredited institution of higher education in the U.S., and who have earned a cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale, and a grade of 2.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale on each of the English writing/composition courses.
- International applicants who have earned a higher education degree (including the equivalent of an associate or bachelor’s degree) from an institution in one of a group of countries listed on the English Language Test Requirement exemption list (see: English language proficiency test exemption list ) while residing in that country.
- Citizens of one of a group of countries listed on the English Language Test Requirement exemption list (see: English language proficiency test exemption list ).
Applicants with English proficiency scores that are lower than the above minima may be admitted as follows:
- Applicants with scores of 69-78 TOEFL IBT; 5.50 IELTS; or 47-52 PTE-A may be admitted but are required to enroll in IE 090 English for International Students and IE 091 Academic Writing Lab for International Students during their first term of enrollment at the university and, if necessary, in subsequent terms until they complete the courses successfully. Successful completion of IE 090 and IE 091 means student much receive a C grade or higher on both courses IE 090 and IE 091.
- Students who lack an acceptable English proficiency score and who wish to be considered for an exemption from the IE 090/IE 091 requirement may choose to take the English Placement Test upon arrival at the university.
- Conditional admission may be granted to applicants with English proficiency scores below 69 TOEFL IBT; 5:50 IELTS; 47 PTE-A who meet all other requirements for undergraduate admission, provided that they submit a written request to the Office of International Programs and ask for “Conditional Admission status.” Students granted conditional admission will be permitted to enroll in undergraduate academic courses only after demonstrating satisfactory English language proficiency as required for unconditional admission (see above).
Please note that admission to the University of Mississippi’s Intensive English Language Program requires a separate application process in addition to the application process for conditional undergraduate admission (see https://iep.olemiss.edu/how-to-apply/).
620 All American Drive
The Intensive English Program (IEP) provides English language instruction for international students who wish to study at the University of Mississippi or other institutions in the United States. The IEP offers classes in speaking and listening, reading, writing, and grammar at four different ability levels as well as content-based courses such as American Culture, Intercultural Communication, and Pronunciation. Full-time students are registered for between 18 and 20 hours of non-degree credit. In addition to its intensive program, the IEP plans and offers cultural activities as well as encourages its students to participate in on- and off-campus events. The program follows the university semester schedule and includes one eight-week session in the summer. Special shorter programs are available upon request.
IEP students are considered to be international students and are subject to all regulations and fees pertaining to international students. Application forms are available from the Intensive English Program (see https://iep.olemiss.edu/how-to-apply/ for more information). Attending the IEP does not guarantee admission into an academic program at the University of Mississippi. Tuition and fees for the Intensive English Program are listed in the Fees and Expenses section (see https://iep.olemiss.edu/cost/ for more information).