“What are UM’s admissions requirements for international graduate students**?” tag=”h4″]
The UM Graduate School recognizes the necessity of using multiple criteria in making the admission decision. These criteria include an applicant’s previous academic performance and scores on standardized tests and may include research and practical experiences, evidence of skill (e.g. writing sample), letters of recommendation, and, in the case of applicants whose native language is not English, scores on an English proficiency exam.
Meeting minimum standards does not guarantee admission to a degree program. The selection process is competitive, and admission decisions take into consideration the availability of space and resources within a department. To assure full consideration for admission, all application materials must be received by the deadline dates.
Applicants for graduate admission should have at least a B or equivalent average in previous university/college studies and appropriate undergraduate preparation in their fields of study. Students should also possess or be in the process of completing a bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Applicants for master’s and doctoral programs in most disciplines should submit official test results of the general Graduate Record Exam (GRE) prior to consideration for admission. Applicants for graduate study in business and accountancy are required to submit official results of the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT). Applicants should request that the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send official test scores directly to the Graduate School. The university code number is 1840.
While GRE or GMAT is sufficient for most academic disciplines, some academic departments require other standardized test scores as part of their application process. For example, some departments in the School of Education require the Praxis Exam. Please check the School of Education web site for this information https://www.olemiss.edu/depts/educ_school2/.
Required documents for a graduate admissions application:
- Online application and application fee payment
- Copy of passport identification pages
- See visa question below for more information.
- Official English language proficiency test scores
- Minimum 6.00 IELTS; 79 TOEFL-IBT; or 53 PTE-A is required in order to be considered for full admission. See the English language requirements below for more information.
- While official test scores must be submitted to the University by the testing center, please submit a copy of your test scores to the Office of International Programs also, whether in hard-copy or scanned by email. This will expedite the admission review process.
- Official transcripts/degree certificates of all institutions of higher education attended (must be official, officially certified, notarized, and must include an English translation)
- Affidavit of Financial Support
- Required for those intending to hold F-1 or J-1 visa status only.
- See the financial support requirements below for more information.
- Visit our Financial Matters page to find out more about costs of study, scholarship opportunities, and other financial considerations.
- Letters of Recommendation and/or writing samples (such as Statement of Purpose), dependent on degree program