For F-1 and J-1 visa students only.
- The Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services requires that students verify their ability to meet the costs of the first year of study before the University of Mississippi can issue SEVIS Form I-20 (for F-1 students) or SEVIS Form DS-2019 (for J-1 students).
- The Office of International Programs requires therefore international students intending to hold F-1 or J-1 visa status as they begin their academic program at the University of Mississippi to complete the Affidavit of Financial Support form (see: Forms Carousel).
- The Affidavit of Financial Support may be submitted along with other application items at the time of application, or after a decision on admission has been made.
- Please follow the instructions on the form closely.
- Students must have a plan to support themselves during their entire length of study.
- Students who are sponsored in full by their governments, academic institutions, foundations or other sponsoring agencies must submit a letter issued by the sponsoring agency, on its official letterhead, confirming the amount and duration of their sponsorship. This letter may be submitted in lieu of the Affidavit of Financial Support. It is recommended that such sponsorship confirmation letters are submitted along with the other items of the admissions application.
- Students who are sponsored in part by their governments, academic institutions, foundations or other sponsoring agencies must submit both the sponsorship letter and the Affidavit of Financial Support.
- With the exception of graduate level Graduate Assistantships/Instructorships, on-campus student employment is not guaranteed, should not be seen as a significant means of support while at the University, and cannot be included as a basis of financial support on the Affidavit of Financial Support Form.
- The issuance of an F-1 or J-1 visa, and thus admission to the USA, is based on the student having sufficient financial funds available to cover the total cost of study, including tuition, fees, living expenses (i.e., housing and food).
- Students with balance due on their university bursar account will not be permitted to continue their studies in a subsequent semester.
- Please do not expect (additional) financial assistance from the University after you have arrived on campus. You will be notified of scholarship or funding support in writing before you leave your home country.